Monday, March 05, 2007

News & Notes: 3/5/07

- As of right now, I'm picking Kansas to win the NCAA Tournament. I have a few reasons, but I'm waiting for the Big 12 tourney to play out to write anything more. It's my hope that they lose in the semis or in the final, and maybe fall out of getting a 1-seed. My normal tournament bracket philosophy is to pick the favorite, and key in on some good first round upsets and Sweet 16 teams.

I usually don't think about the field until Selection Sunday, but this year is just different. I have a pretty good feeling about KU, and since I'm feeling more unconventional with this bracket, I'm hoping they're not favorite, so less people will pick them.

- If I'm a GM with the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft. Right now: Oden or Durant? Oden.

- The Chicago Bears and New England Patriots are having off-seasons that are about as comparable as night and day. They seem to be heading in different directions with the Pats throwing money around (what?!) and the Bears losing key pieces (Thomas Jones already, and Lance Briggs, quite possibly). I'm going to wait until the Bears ruin more things to comment any further, but as for the boys in Massachusetts? I can't even begin to describe my excitement for the Patriots' acquisition of Adalius Thomas. Here is a guy that's played every single defensive position. I keep telling my friends about him, and the dialogue usually goes like this...

Bobby: He's played every single defensive position.
Friend X: Tackle and Cornerback?!
Bobby: Yes.

I've had this exact same conversation with at least five people.

Anyway, Thomas will make this team better because he provides youth in the linebacking core, an ability to put pressure on opposing quarterbacks, and of course, his versatility.

In the real Super Bowl -- the AFC Championship -- the Patriots led the Colts, 21-3 in Indianapolis. The ship was sailing smooth until the Colts offensive unit refused to leave the field. Ending and starting the half, Manning and Co. were able to not only sustain long drives, but also run their famous no-huddle in doing so. This is a successful form of offense because it doesn't allow adequate time for defensive substitutions. It ended up badly burning the Pats, and the D was essentially running on fumes for the 3rd and 4th quarter.

I mention this because Thomas will have the ability to come up to the line and rush, or drop back into coverage. He's a perfect way to combat the Colts' style of play. Basically, seeing the New England front office pull the trigger on this deal tells me, "Hey, we blew it in Indy last year, and right now, we're building a team to compete with our only real competition: the Colts."

The Pats also gave up some draft picks to the Dolphins for WR Wes Welker, whose size, speed, and toughness make him perfect for an offense that caters to small wide receivers who run sharp and precise routes. This year should be his best yet in the NFL.

On top of all this, the Patriots are rumored to acquire Randy Moss or Dante Stallworth.

I'm drooling.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home