Tuesday, April 03, 2007

News & Notes: 4/3/07, Chicago Baseball Edition + CBB

- Well, the folks at the Tribune are selling the Chicago Cubs after this season. This move intrigues me for a few reasons.
  1. Who will be the new owner? Although I've never addressed it here, I am a pretty big Cubs-hater. I'm sure I can get into specifics later, but for right now, I'm just putting that out there. Anyway, as a Sox fan, I sure as hell hope Mark Cuban doesn't purchase the team. I think if he did, the likability of the Cubs would increase. Heck, I'm a casual Dallas Mavericks fan, and most of that has to do with everything he's brought to the team. He's a blue-collar billionaire, if that's possible. I think Cuban could easily spin the Sox to be the villainous team from the South Side, and as far as national attention goes, it would only hurt a team that could certainly use some. My current stance on Cubs ownership: anyone but Cuban.
  2. Will this new owner posssssibly, mayyyybe think about a new stadium? One of the biggest reasons I dislike the Cubs is Wrigley Field. I know, I know, it's the "best stadium in baseball" and it's full of "history," but I really don't buy into that (like I said, that discussion is for another day). But if a new face stepped in and thought about getting the Cubs a new stadium, I'd say there's a serious chance I could get (slightly) into the team again.

- I'm not a big predictions guy, but just because this pick is so out there and bold, I'd like to go on record saying I believe Ted Lilly will win the NL Cy Young Award. It's a mixture of his natural talent, playing in the NL, and leaving the stacked AL East that gives him a solid chance, I think. Of course, this bold pick could just as easily be wrong and I'd look like an idiot, but hey, it's a lot more interesting to read than someone ranting about Chris Carpenter. I mean, anyone could do that.

For some reason, I've really gotten behind Lilly since he signed with the stupid Cubs. I can't really explain why, but I'm hoping he does well this year. It pains me to say I'll probably end up rooting for the Cubs -- well, not the Cubs, just Lilly -- in 20% of the games they play this season.

- I really think it's possible I jinxed the Chicago White Sox 2007 season. Let me explain...

I'm a firm believer in making sure I watch the first pitch of Opening Day for my favorite team. I just feel like it has a lot of meaning, and it's an important part of the season. It's the team's launch pad, if you will. Any success (or failure) the team experiences started from that exact point.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of confusing Eastern time with Central time when I looked at the MLB game schedules, so instead of catching Jose Contreras' first throw, I spent time watching/making fun of the Cubs as they took on the Cincinnati Reds.

It wasn't until I got a text from my buddy Gahgs that read "Well, better luck next year, Sox" that I realized I'd been missing the game. As I rapidly flipped from WGN to Comcast, I was horrified to see the Sox already down to the Indians, 5-0. I was hoping I wouldn't have to hear Hawk Harrelson say "The Tribe put a crooked number up on that board" until much later in the season. Unfortunately, that happened twice in the first two innings of the '07 campaign.

Well -- as the Sox's new slogan says -- back to the grind.

- Being a blog that supposedly covers Washington State, Michigan, and Iowa basketball, I probably should comment on the coaching situation of the three schools.

  • Wazzu extends Tony Bennett: I was delighted to hear this, and I think he's the best fit for the program, albeit it's a little boring to watch those grinders in action from time to time. I can't wait to see what Papa Tony has up his sleeve for next season. I mean, they're getting most everyone back, so is a Final 4 run too crazy to think about? Oh, and I know I forgot to mention it earlier, but congrats on the award, coach. I'm 10 out of 10 excited. Hearing that he resigned was such a relief. He had every right to bolt to a bigger and better program, and I can't respect him enough for staying.
  • Michigan hires West Virginia coach John Beilen: Michigan simply needs new everything. A new look, a new attitude, a new style -- maybe even some new players. Beilen seems like a real X's and O's kind of guy, which is a welcome change from Tommy Amaker. I can't wait to see this 1-3-1 zone I keep hearing about. As far as negatives go, I'm most concerned with what he'll be able to bring to the table in terms of recruiting, but I've gotta give the guy a chance before I hound him for something like that. All in all, I'm 8 out of 10 excited.
  • Iowa hires Butler coach Todd Lickliter: To me, this isn't as much about Lickliter coming as it is about Steve Alford going. Lickliter took Butler -- a mid-major -- to multiple Sweet Sixteens, but I don't understand how that makes him any different from Alford when Iowa hired him eight years ago. Here in Iowa City, the campus seems to have a slight buzz about the Lickliter hire, but nothing too huge. I just don't think anybody (myself included) knows enough about Lickliter to be for or against him. Again, I was completely against Alford leaving, and Lickliter's hiring (no matter how good or bad he is) is going to really set Iowa's program back. I'm 5 out of 10 'excited', if you'd even call it that.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home