Thursday, April 12, 2007

Imus vs. Rutgers: Everybody Loses

Please don't allow me to be the millionth person to rag on Don Imus and his "nappy headed hos" comment. I'm so burnt out on it, that at this point, it means nothing to me.

What did rile me up, however, was the Rutgers women's basketball's cryfest-press conference. I'll admit I only saw highlights of the players speaking, but I did watch the Rutgers President and head coach C. Vivian Stringer in their entirety (live, during one of my classes here at the University of Iowa), and I must say, come. on.

The thing that really upset me about this press conference was the fact that it happened. I can't believe they got away with it. Could you ever see Bob Huggins, Bobby Knight, Roy Williams, or even Coach K scheduling a press conference to defend his players from comments few people even agreed with in the first place? I'll answer that question, N-O.

Rutgers' problem was thinking the majority of America sided with Imus, and my problem is, most people didn't to begin with, and after Imus apologized, there was no reason for them to go on live TV to feel sorry for themselves. This press conference was free publicity for Rutgers and blatantly stole Tennessee basketball's thunder. Instead of an off-season of Candace Parker and Pat Summitt, the casual women's basketball fan will probably think Rutgers won the title, based on the way they were acting.

That self gratifying, pointless press conference did nothing but bump Imus' words from inconsequential to relevant -- is that what Rugters wanted? The dude got suspended and dropped from MSNBC, and remember, he apologized!

Again, to Stringer and Co., everybody agreed with you in the first place. There was and is no reason to treat the situation like it was Rutgers women's basketball vs. America. You weren't setting the record straight, you were simply pushing your own agenda. Seriously, what was the point of dragging the media into your school? To cry? To feel sorry for yourselves? That's not news.

Acting like they had their backs against the wall was a shame, and while America ate out of the palm of their hand, I cringed.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home