Sunday, April 22, 2007

Bulls-Heat: So Far, So Good

I really had to force myself out of writing a headline that said something using a play on of the word "heat," but I guess I was able to manage. I couldn't imagine being a headline writer for a Miami newspaper. Those hilarious/goofy headlines are just too easy not to use.

Anyways, I look at the series score, and I see:
Bulls- 1
Heat- 0

To me, that doesn't give a lot space to complain -- and I don't plan on it.........yet.

There have been a few things about this series that I've really enjoyed.
  • Luol freaking Deng: The man from The Sudan has lived up to my always sky-high expectations of him. He's been my favorite player in the NBA for a full season now, and I think the rest of the league is finally starting to take notice (What took so long?!). He's finishing when he takes it to the basket, he's exploiting his match-up against D-Wade, and most importantly, he's leading the team in scoring. I really hope Deng can keep things going throughout this series. Seeing him in an All-Star uni next year would be stellar.
  • Thabo Sefalosha: I've always been high on Thabo since his first game of the regular season against Miami on opening night. I thought he'd have a chance to contend for Rookie of the Year if he got the minutes. Obviously he didn't play well enough to deserve those minutes, but he's really coming into his own of late. He's always been great at defense, and apparently Scott Skiles is taking notice. What stood out to me was when Kirk Hinrich picked up his fourth foul in the 3rd quarter, and Skiles put in Thabo over Chris Duhon. It showed trust in the rook, and we're going to need him if we wanna take down the defending champs. Did you know Thabo's wingspan is 7'0''? Yeah, crazy!
  • Shaq: The big fella's upset, and after fouling out in Game 1, he's already calling out the refs in his post-game interviews. It's the same every year. It's tough to officiate someone so big, powerful, and dominant. I feel for him, but at the same time, the question remains: is this whining going to turn into more motivation or a series-losing excuse fest?
  • Mi-apathy: Do these guys care? Shaq and D-Wade seem to be invested, but after Game 1, Pat "The Devil" Riley told reporters that he instructed Wade to bank in a three for the last second attempt to tie the game. To me, Riley is too loose -- he just doesn't take these Bulls seriously. I know it worked last year, but I don't think this year's team has the same "it" that this current team does. They can't continuously treat the regular season like a joke and just expect to turn it on for the playoffs. I really think if they hit a two or three game deficit, the roof might just cave in on the team and they'll fully give up. They just seem like quitters, to me. (Again, excluding Shaq and Wade.)
  • The Chicago crowd: This is the homer in me, but the good folks at the UC really turned it on for Game 1. From resurrecting the "No-ci-oni" free throw cheer from 2004, to shamelessly riding James "Public Enemy No. 1" Posey with a chorus of constant boos that culminated in Posey getting a technical while sitting on the bench, to cheering at all the right moments (like Ty Thomas' blocks and alley-oop), that was, in my opinion, the best crowd for an NBA game I have ever seen in a long, long time.

That's all I gots for now.

Tune in Tuesday for Game 2. I don't expect a let down. That is, I think the Bulls will continue to turn up the ... heat?

Haha, I knew I couldn't go a whole post.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home